Join Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum for August Events Including 3D Printing Design for Adults and for Kids, Teddy Bear Clinic and Much More
The Hands-On Museum is hosting a wide variety of Ann Arbor events in August designed to inspire curiosity in people of all ages! Join us for 3D Printing Design, Teddy Bear Clinic, Kids in the Kitchen and so much more.
The "What if...?" World - Monday, August 1 through Wednesday, August 31 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., except Sundays, from noon to 4 p.m.
- What if the ground was made of foam? What if we communicated exclusively with movement? What if humans had tails? From our physical space to everyday tasks, entertainment, and communication, there are many ways our world could be different. Get creative as we explore all kinds of “what if...?” questions through building, animating, sculpting, and more! The "What if...?" World is a part of the Creativity Garden, a nationwide project of the Association of Science-Technology Centers, generously supported by Disney.
The Little Scientist Club - Tuesdays from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and Saturdays from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Encourage your child’s natural drive for discovery through observation and hands-on activities, science-themed stories, make-and-take projects, and much more. Older siblings are welcome, too. No registration necessary.
Professor Ray's Everyday Science: Luminosity - Saturday, August 6 and Sunday, August 7 at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- Energy (mechanical, chemical, heat) and electricity are transformed into light. See a soda fluoresce and a pickle light up!
3D Printing Design for Kids - Thursday, August 11 from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- In this 1 hour workshop, we will learn the basics of TinkerCad, a free online 3D design program, and explore 3D creations. Discover the logic behind designing for 3D printers and create your own design. Don’t forget your laptops! All 3D designs will be printed within a week of the program and will be yours to keep. Pre-registration required: $15 for members and $20 for non-members.
Critters Up Close - Saturday, August 13 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday, August 14 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Now you have more opportunities to see Critters Up Close every month! Our friends at Leslie Science and Nature Center bring a selection of live animals to the Museum and we offer special animal-oriented hands-on activities. Animals will be meeting and greeting visitors from 10-4 on Saturday (with a mid-day “Animal Naptime”) and 1-4 on Sunday. This month the featured critters are snakes!
Gabe Bolkosky's Icky, Sticky Things in Music - Saturday, August 13 from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and Sunday, August 14 from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- This summer, we are teaming up again with the Great Lakes Performing Artist Associates to bring you a series of unique performances by top musicians! For our August event, we feature violinist Gabe Bolkosky. Gabe's performances have focused in the areas of contemporary music, jazz and tango as well as traditional classical music. He will also be featuring his new book, Annie and the Icky, Sticky, Picky, Tricky Knot. Don’t miss the last performance of the summer series!
Teddy Bear Clinic - Thursday, August 18 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum and CS Mott Children’s Hospital team up to bring you a day full of healthy fun! Learn about how your body works, explore various healthcare professions, and see the science behind medical procedures as you work through a Teddy Bear Clinic! The clinic is sponsored by The Carls Foundation.
Kids in the Kitchen - Thursday, August 18 from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Kids in grades 1-5 can join the Junior League of Ann Arbor for an evening workshop as part of the Kids in the Kitchen program. Perform science experiments focused on the senses, make a nutritious snack, and play games. Pre-registration required: $5 for members and $10 for non-members.
3D Printing Design for Adults - Thursday, August 25 from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- In this hour and a half workshop for adults, you will receive an introduction to the world of 3D design and learn some of the benefits to 3D printing. You will explore the basics of TinkerCad, a free online 3D design program. Discover the logic behind designing for 3D printers and create your own design. You will need to bring a laptop to the class. All 3D designs will be printed within two weeks of the program and will be yours to keep. Pre-registration is required: $15 for members and $20 for non-members and includes the cost of admission to the Museum.
Yo-Yo Master Zeemo - Saturday, August 27 and Sunday, August 28 at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- While just about everybody has played with a yo-yo, few master the variety of tricks required to be a yo-yo pro. Zeemo has "The World on a String" as he can perform over 200 different yo-yo tricks. In addition to yo-yos, Zeemo is also adept with other spinning toys such as hula-hoops, spin tops, frisbees and the amazing Chinese diabolo. Don’t miss this fun-filled performance that includes lots of audience participation!
Kids in the Kitchen costs $5 for members and $10 for non-members. 3D Printing Design for Adults and for Kids costs $15 for members and $20 for non-members. All other activities are included with Museum admission at no additional charge. Admission to the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum is free for members and children under 2 years old, and $12 for ages two and up.
For more information about the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum’s August events, visit: http://www.aahom.org/events/whats_new/. You can also find event info on our free app, available in the iTunes store!