Join Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum for Hands-On Holidays and More Events, for Everyone in December
The Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum is hosting a range of events in December designed to inspire curiosity in people of all ages! Come enjoy The Little Scientist Club, Critters Up Close, Pop-Up Makerspace, Hands-On Holidays and other exciting activities.
The Little Scientist Club - Tuesdays from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and Saturdays from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Our youngest visitors will expand their sense of wonder through observation and hands-on activities, science-themed stories, make-and-take projects, and much more. Older siblings are welcome, too. No registration necessary.
Walk This Way: The Science Behind Walking and Running - Thursday December 3, 6 to 8 p.m.
- We've teamed up with the U-M Robotics and Motion Lab to put those grades 3-6 in animals' shoes to see how body structure affects movement. Parents are encouraged to participate in the workshop. Participants under 12 must have a parent in the building. Cost is $5 for members, $10 for non-members (parents included), and pre-registration is required.
Slithering Into Python - Thursday, December 10, from 5 to 8 p.m.
- Students in grades 5-7 will learn from members of the Huron High Computer Science Club how to use Python to create "Hello World" and learn basic logic such as conditional statements, loops, and data types. Cost is $5 for members and $10 for non-members, and pre-registration is required. Participants must bring a laptop.
Critters Up Close - Saturday, December 12 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday, December 13 from 1 to 4 p.m.
- Our friends at Leslie Science & Nature Center will bring a selection of live animals to the Museum and will offer special animal-oriented hands-on activities. This month we highlight hawks and falcons.
3D Printing - Thursday, December 17
- 3D Printing: The Science of Additive Printing , from 5:45 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. for a workshop that will explore the medical, technological, and architectural benefits of 3D printing, or additive manufacturing. Work your way around our 3D town and discover the global impact of this technology. See 3D printing demos and enter for the chance to win your own 3D print! Registration is required.
- From 7 to 8 p.m., we'll explore 3D Printing Design. Learn the basics TinkerCad, a free online 3D design program, and explore 3D creations. Discover the logic behind designing for 3D printers and create your own design. Don't forget your laptops! All 3D designs will be printed within a week of the program and will be yours to keep. Registration is required.
- Each of these 3D Printing workshops costs $5 for members and $10 for non-members, and pre-registration is required as space is limited.
Pop-Up Makerspace - Saturday, December 19 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday, December 20 from noon to 4 p.m.
- Design - Build - Test! This month's challenge: Build a ball, make a ramp.
Hands-On Holidays - December 26 through January 3
- This year, we're featuring family favorites: All of our best experiments, make-and-take crafts, and most beloved performers. Our online calendar has all of the details, so be sure to check it out and make us part of your holiday season. And, a special thank you to Broken Egg for supporting this year's Hands-On Holidays celebration!
Walk This Way, Slithering Into Python and 3D Printing are $5 for members and $10 for non-members. Hands-On Holidays and all other December event activities are included with Museum admission at no additional charge. Admission to the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum is free for members and children under 2 years old, and $12 for ages two and up.
For more information about the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum’s December events, visit: http://www.aahom.org/events/whats_new/. You can also find event info on our free app, available in the iTunes store!