Join Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum for May Events Including TechTwilight and Soccer Science
The Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum is hosting a range of events in May designed to inspire curiosity in people of all ages! Join us for Professor Ray’s Everyday Science, TechTwilight, Soccer Science, and many more events.
The Little Scientist Club - Tuesdays from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and Saturdays from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Encourage your child’s natural drive for discovery through observation and hands-on activities, science-themed stories, make-and-take projects, and much more. Older siblings are welcome, too. No registration necessary.
Professor Ray's Everyday Science: Mighty Motion - Saturday, May 7 and Sunday, May 8 at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- Ever wonder why and how objects move… or do not move? We will demonstrate gravity, inertia, air resistance and Newton’s laws of motion in many ways, including launching a tray of eggs with a broom — safely!
Slithering Into Python - Thursday, May 12 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Learn the fundamentals of computer programming from members of the Huron High School Computer Science Club! Participants will work in Python to create “Hello World” and learn basic logic such as conditional statements, loops, and data types. For students entering grades 5, 6, 7 and 8 (returning students welcome). Sponsored by the Ann Arbor Area Community Foundation. Participants under the age of 12 must have an adult remain in the building for the duration of the workshop. Cost is $5 for members and $10 for non-members and includes Museum admission for one adult. Participants must bring their own laptop with a developing environment pre-loaded on the computer (link to download will be provided after registration). Limited laptops available upon request. Please fill out our Contact Us form (choose Evening Workshops as the Department) if you would like to inquire about the availability of a laptop prior to registering for the event. Class will run from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., with additional "open lab" time from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Critters Up Close - Saturday, May 14 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday, May 15 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Now you have more opportunities to see Critters Up Close every month! Our friends at Leslie Science & Nature Center bring a selection of live animals to the Museum and we offer special animal-oriented hands-on activities. Animals will be meeting and greeting visitors from 10-4 on Saturday (with a mid-day “Animal Naptime”) and 1-4 on Sunday. This month the featured critters are salamanders and vernal pond life!
Cub Scout Bears: Forensics Workshop - Saturday, May 14 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Become a forensic scientist! Immerse yourself in the intriguing world of forensic science as you use real lab techniques to solve a crime and earn your Forensics Badge. Cost is $15 per scout, $5 per adult and includes the 2-hour workshop and Museum admission. Register here.
TechTwilight 2016 - Friday, May 20 from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- TechTwilight provides companies and student groups with the opportunity to celebrate and share their innovations in a festive environment of discovery. Proceeds support the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum’s mission of inspiring young people to embrace science, technology, engineering, art and math. Cost is $15 for adults and $12 for children. Tickets are available for purchase online at techtwilight.org.
TechDaylight - Saturday, May 21 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday, May 22 from noon to 4 p.m.
- Extend the festivities of TechTwilight into the weekend with TechDaylight! We will highlight tech-related activities for the whole family, including robotics, animation, science-based student projects, and more.
Girl Scout Brownies: Inventor Workshop - Saturday, May 21 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Let your inner inventor loose as you problem-solve in three dimensions. Create an invention uniquely suited a need that you see, and then take your creation home with you. Brownies will complete their Inventor badge during this workshop. Cost is $15 per scout, $5 per adult and includes the 2-hour workshop and Museum admission. Register here.
Soccer Science - Saturday, May 28 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday, May 29 from noon to 4 p.m.
- Join Association Football Club Ann Arbor (ACF Ann Arbor) and the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum for a weekend of soccer science! From the physics of getting a ball to curve to how a soccer ball is made, we’ll explore the many ways science and sports overlap. Don’t miss this fun event for all ages!
Slithering Into Python costs $5 for members and $10 for non-members. Scout Workshops cost $15 per scout and $5 per adult. TechTwilight costs $15 for adults and $12 for children. All other activities are included with Museum admission at no additional charge. Admission to the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum is free for members and children under 2 years old, and $12 for ages two and up.
For more information about the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum’s May events, visit: http://www.aahom.org/events/whats_new/. You can also find event info on our free app, available in the iTunes store!