Ciders and Sliders for Adults, The Ups and Downs of Roller Coasters for Families, and Much More
The Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum is hosting an array of events in September designed to inspire curiosity in people of all ages!
The "What if...?" World - Thursday, September 1 through Sunday, September 4 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., except Sunday, from noon to 4 p.m.
- What if the ground was made of foam? What if we communicated exclusively with movement? What if humans had tails? From our physical space to everyday tasks, entertainment, and communication, there are many ways our world could be different. Get creative as we explore all kinds of “what if...?” questions through building, animating, sculpting, and more! The "What if...?" World is a part of the Creativity Garden, a nationwide project of the Association of Science-Technology Centers, generously supported by Disney.
The Little Scientist Club - Tuesdays from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and Saturdays from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Encourage your child’s natural drive for discovery through observation and hands-on activities, science-themed stories, make-and-take projects, and much more. Older siblings are welcome, too. No registration necessary.
Professor Ray's Everyday Science: ChemMystery - Saturday, September 3 and Sunday, September 4 at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- Items found in your pantry, refrigerator, or under your sink that seem so common are chemicals. See items in your salad produce real chemical reactions and whether water really can explode.
Critters Up Close - Saturday, September 10 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday, September 11 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Our friends at Leslie Science and Nature Center bring a selection of live animals to the Museum and we offer special animal-oriented hands-on activities. Animals will be meeting and greeting visitors from 10-4 on Saturday (with a mid-day “Animal Naptime”) and 1-4 on Sunday. This month the featured critters are arachnids!
Ciders and Sliders - Friday, September 16 from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Adults 21+ are welcome to join us to explore the science of hard cider from Eastern Michigan University's Fermentation Science department while sampling sliders from Knight's on Liberty, gazpacho from The Produce Station, beer from The Ypsi Alehouse, and delicious hard ciders. Experience a hands-on activity, a photobooth by ShutterBooth, and explore the Museum! Tickets are $25 for members and $30 for non-members. Registration will be open on August 22 for members and August 29 for non-members.
Yo-Yo Master Zeemo - Saturday, September 17 and Sunday, September 18 at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- While just about everybody has played with a yo-yo, few master the variety of tricks required to be a yo-yo pro. Zeemo has "The World on a String" as he can perform over 200 different yo-yo tricks. In addition to yo-yos, Zeemo is also adept with other spinning toys such as hula-hoops, spin tops, frisbees and the amazing Chinese diabolo. Don’t miss this fun-filled performance that includes lots of audience participation!
The Ups and Downs of Roller Coasters--A Family Workshop - Thursday, September 22 from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Become amusement park designers for an evening! Engineer a roller coaster by combining loops, turns, and hills into the wildest ride you can imagine. Experience the physics and challenges of roller coaster design as your marble zooms down the track – but make sure it doesn’t fall off! Adults, be ready to jump in and engineer right alongside the kids. For kids ages 8 and up and their families. Everyone participating must buy a ticket, $5 for members and $10 for non-members.
ScienceFest: Mixin' A Mess - Saturday, September 24 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday, September 25 from noon to 4 p.m.
- Slime, oobleck, goop, dough – if it’s sticky, messy and fun to play with, we have it this weekend! From building sculptures that “melt” before your eyes to designing your very own goop, this promises to be a fun and hands-on weekend for the whole family.
Ciders and Sliders costs $25 for members and $30 for non-members. The Ups and Downs of Roller Coasters costs $5 for members and $10 for non-members. All other activities are included with Museum admission at no additional charge. Admission to the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum is free for members and children under 2 years old, and $12 for ages two and up.
For more information about the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum’s September events, visit: http://www.aahom.org/experience/event-calendar. You can also find event info on our free app, available in the iTunes store!