Join us at Leslie Science & Nature Center for the new programs designed for families, pods and homeschools!
Choose one of the following activities to be led by one of our educators for an outdoor hands-on engaging time. Up to 6 people can attend of all ages. We ask that everyone four years and up wears a mask while our educator is with your group. Parents need to stay with the children participating for the entirety of the program.
- Minimum cost of $30 for up to 6 people
- 2 years old and under are free
- Tuesdays - Fridays, 9am-5pm
- 45 minutes
- If interested in other times, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for availability
- Water Cycle: From a droplet underground, to a raindrop in the sky, water is one of our most vital resources. We'll take a closer look how other organisms rely on water, take our own, incredible water journey, and discover how we as citizen scientists can help keep our waterways clean!
- Birding 101: What better way to explore the outdoors than to pick up the hobby of birdwatching! Through our hike in the woods, we'll learn how to identify common, Michigan birds, while demonstrating tips & tricks to help find different species. Folks will also learn how to use some of the best tools made to help you enjoy your new hobby! This experience is best suited for families, or beginner birdwatchers. Mornings only (9am-12pm)
- Tree ID: There are living giants among us, and boy do they have a story to tell! Learn how to identify common, Michigan trees in every season. We'll hike through the woods as we practice our new, tree ID skills. All while learning why trees are so important for our ecosystems, as well as our human way of life.
- Animal Engineering: Brainstorm, plan, build, and test! Learn how engineers gained inspiration on some of today’s technology thanks by being inspired by natural wonders. We'll explore how different animals survive using engineering and test our skills by building our own bird nests.
- Fractions: Get outside to practice your fraction skills as we explore the hiking trails at the Leslie Science and Nature Center. We'll discover how to compare fractions and use the birds in the Raptor Loop to create our own fractions.
- Seasonal Surroundings (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer): Take a walk through the woods as explore the signs of changing seasons! Learn how organisms adapt to an ever-changing pattern of weather, temperature, and resources. We'll also discover more ways to interact with nature in each season: fall, winter, spring, and summer!
- Senses: Ever wish you had a bat's ability to hear or a star-nosed mole's ability to smell? Learn with us how these animals and more use their senses to explore the world. We'll even have a chance to test our own senses through a series of interactive activities!
- States of Matter: Matter is all around us! Come explore the three states of matter (solid, liquid, and gas) we see in nature every day and discover how animals use each to survive in the wild. Then, join us in making slime to see if we can identify which state of matter our slime is most like.