Experience live, interactive Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum programs right in your classroom! Our educators use videoconferencing technology to share science and math activities with your students, engaging them in a dynamic, hands-on learning experience.
Connect from anywhere! We have the capability to allow ANY school to connect to our Museum virtually. Whether you have the traditional H.323 videoconferencing system or a computer with a webcam, speakers, and microphone, you can bring our Distance Learning programs into your classroom.
Click here to see a promotional video featuring one of our most popular programs, Halloween Slime Time!
- A 50-minute interactive program.
- A kit with materials for interactive experiments for 30 students.
- A Teacher’s Guide to prepare you, your classroom, and your students before the experience.
- Extension activities and resources for further exploration.
To Register for a Distance Learning Program
- Dates and times for the Distance Learning programs are scheduled by request
- Programs should be scheduled 3 weeks in advance in order for your kits to be mailed
- Book through the Center for Interactive Learning and Collaboration at www.cilc.org
- To register by phone, contact the Distance Learning Manager at 734.995.5439 and have the following information available:
- Address and phone number of contact person
- Mailing address for Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum materials kit
- Number of students and grade level
- Date(s) and time(s) your class would like to participate
- Technical contact information
- For more information please contact the Distance Learning Manager at 734.995.5439 or use our Contact Us form.
SAVE! Multi-program discounts!
- Book 5 or more programs at one time and receive $10 off the price of each program.
- Book 10 or more programs at one time and receive $20 off the price of each program.
Programs must be scheduled with the same school or site. Programs may be scheduled for any time during the same school year, but all requests eligible for discount must be submitted, received and approved at the same time.
Distance Learning Scholarships and Grants
Limited scholarships are available to those who qualify through our Discover Science Assistance Fund. There are also many grants available to schools and organizations to help pay for Distance Learning programs. Click here for more information about grants.
Payment and Cancellation Policies
Reservations must be paid in full or guaranteed by a purchase order at least 30 days after the program takes place. Checks, money orders, or credit cards are also accepted.
Cancellations made up to 72 hours prior to your scheduled program will be refunded (less a $25 administrative fee.) The $25 administrative fee is waived if you reschedule. If a cancellation is made less than 72 hours before the scheduled program, no refund will be issued.
Severe Weather Policy
In the event of weather-related school closings or power outages, programs will be rescheduled. If you choose not to reschedule your make-up distance learning program, payment will be refunded less a $25 administrative fee. In the case of program cancellation, the participating site is responsible for rescheduling and/or returning the provided kit materials.
Leslie Science & Nature Center joins us with LIVE reptiles in our lab as we explore what makes a reptile a reptile. Feel the snake or lizard skin specimens we send you while you learn the adaptations that make these animals so successful in the wild. Register today!
Together with the Leslie Science & Nature Center, we will create a food chain using LIVE animals (hawk/owl, snake, frog, spider and roach). Along the way we will discuss how they survive in the wild. Register today!
Ever wonder why you can smell, hear, taste, see, and feel? Come find out how your senses help you to discover the world around you. Students will explore their senses with 5 hands-on activities. Register today!
Catch some air as you learn about the history of the parachute! See examples of early and modern parachutes, then create and test your very own! Register today!
Meet up to three live bats with the Leslie Science & Nature Center! Join in as we take an up close look into the wondrous world of bats! Explore what makes bats so unique, why they're important across the globe and try your hand at being an expert echo-locator using a simple tool to understand sound! Register today!
Leslie Science & Nature Center brings LIVE owls to you as we explore predatory adaptations and behavior. We dissect owl pellets and identify owls’ favorite prey. Award-winning program! Register today!
Get a closer look at the anatomy of the eye and how it works together with the brain to create visual images when we dissect real cow eyes. Museum provides cow eyes, gloves, and safety glasses (yours to keep). School must provide its own dissection tools. Award-winning program! Register today!