The Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum is committed to the safety of our visitors and staff. The fundamental nature of the Museum (high-touch, hands-on experiences, coupled with social interactions) makes it especially important that we reopen slowly and cautiously, with as much research and planning as possible, and along with extensive new safety measures in place.
The Museum intends to continue reopening with small groups invited in to experience some modified parts of the Museum, including a brand-new health and wellness gallery: All About You!. We are not currently open for normal business hours.
Here are some of the changes you will find as we reopen:
- All visitors must reserve admission tickets online in advance.
- Some exhibits will be spaced apart or removed temporarily and some parts of the building will be closed (see FAQs for further details).
- No eating or drinking (except water bottles) will be permitted on site.
- The Museum staff will conduct a symptom screening each day before working at the Museum, are required to wear masks while at the Museum, and will wash or sanitize hands frequently throughout the day.
Here are some safety expectations for visitors:
- Masks are encouraged for all but not required as of June 26th. Please read our full mask policy below.
- Six-foot social distancing is required between members of different households.
- Frequently wash and/or sanitize hands.
Before you visit the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum, please note that if any of the conditions listed below exist, we ask that you contact us so that we may rebook your tickets:
- You or anyone in your party has symptoms of infectious illness or has been exposed to a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19 within the past 14 days
- You or anyone in your party has visited a location where there has been a confirmed source or outbreak of COVID-19
- You or anyone in your party has a body temperature of 100.4 degrees or higher
- You or anyone in your party has unexplained or abnormal coughing or sneezing
- You or anyone in your party is ill with COVID-19
With the State of Michigan's adjustment to masking rules, we have lifted the requirement for masks at the Museum starting Saturday, June 26. We continue to respectfully encourage masks for anyone unvaccinated, recognizing our primary audience cannot currently be vaccinated. Here is the full announcement from the state of Michigan: Rescission of Emergency Orders.
Please note, out of respect for our youngest visitors who cannot yet be vaccinated, our staff and volunteers will continue to wear masks in all public spaces.
If you wish to provide feedback on our policy change, we are accepting feedback through this brief 3-question survey. If you are looking for your own private time at the museum, where you would control who attends and masks within the space, please consider booking a Private Pod time.
Exactly like we used to do it, only with less people! We will be adding days to the calendar two weeks in advance. Buy a ticket for a specific day, and you can stay as long as you'd like until we close at 5pm. Please read the hours at the top. View the calendar and purchase or reserve your tickets here!
This year many people have chosen to form “pods” to safely limit the number of family and/or friends they interact directly with. The Museum provides an opportunity for you to bring your pod together for exclusive time in the museum!
- There is one set price for up to 25 people, this number must include everyone, including babies
- Only one person in the POD group needs to register to reserve the time slot
- Just one pod will have the 1st and 2nd floors of the Museum, including the preschool gallery, for their own exclusive space to learn and interact with each other
- All participants in the group will need to sign in at the Museum's front desk when they arrive
- Reservations are for a two-hour time slot
- Masks are encouraged for all but not required.
- Non-Members: $250
- Members: $200
- EBT/WIC Card Holders: $75 (To qualify, the registrant must be a WIC or EBT card holder must show their card to our staff on the day of their reservation.)
Why come to the Museum? Your Pod At The Museum is designed to provide hands-on and fun learning for small groups of children. It is meant for groups looking for a safe meeting place with learning opportunities for hands-on exploration and play.
Social/Emotional Learning Opportunities: Students in 2021 need a safe space for them to return to some form of normal interaction – forming friendships and practicing teamwork. You can bring up to a total of 25 people for your pod reservation. This total needs to include all attendees, including babies.
Safety: Pods will have the 1st and 2nd floors of the Museum for their own exclusive space to learn and interact with each other. Masks are encouraged for all.
When? Click here to see available dates and times. Pods will register for a 2 hour session. Is the time you want sold out? Be sure to join our newsletter to see future openings! You can also join our waitlist here.
How? Please identify one person to register on behalf of your pod. All guests will be expected to sign in when they arrive to the museum.