The Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum is committed to the safety of our visitors and staff. The fundamental nature of the Museum (high-touch, hands-on experiences, coupled with social interactions) makes it especially important that we reopen slowly and cautiously, with as much research and planning as possible, and along with extensive new safety measures in place.
The Museum intends to continue reopening with small groups invited in to experience some modified parts of the Museum, including a brand-new health and wellness gallery: All About You!. We are not currently open for normal business hours.
Here are some of the changes you will find as we reopen:
- All visitors must reserve admission tickets online in advance.
- Some exhibits will be spaced apart or removed temporarily and some parts of the building will be closed (see FAQs for further details).
- No eating or drinking (except water bottles) will be permitted on site.
- The Museum staff will conduct a symptom screening each day before working at the Museum, are required to wear masks while at the Museum, and will wash or sanitize hands frequently throughout the day.
- Plexi-barriers have been installed at the front desk to provide additional distancing between visitors and staff.
Here are some safety expectations for visitors:
- Do not visit the Museum if you or a household member is sick (or experiencing the following symptoms: cough, fever, chills, shortness of breath, muscle aches, vomiting, diarrhea, or a new loss of taste or smell).
- Masks are encouraged for all and required for everyone 2 years and older who are not fully vaccinated. Please read our full mask policy below.
- Six-foot social distancing is required between members of different households.
- Frequently wash and/or sanitize hands.
- Follow all stated safety procedures, including one-way stairs and elevator trips limited to only one household at a time.
- Masks are required for anyone 2 years and older who is not fully vaccinated and encouraged for all.
- If you are unable to wear a mask due to a disability or medical condition, please notify our staff at the Admissions desk when you arrive.
- Face shields are not required. They may be worn in addition to a mask, but not in place of a mask.
- Please bring your own masks or other facial coverings with you, as they will not be provided by the Museum.
Exactly like we used to do it, only with less people! We will be adding days to the calendar two weeks in advance. Buy a ticket for a specific day, and you can stay as long as you'd like until we close at 5pm. View the calendar and purchase or reserve your tickets here!
This year many people have chosen to form “pods” to safely limit the number of family and/or friends they interact directly with. The Museum provides an opportunity for you to bring your pod together for exclusive time in the museum!
- There is one set price for up to 25 people, this number must include everyone, including babies
- Only one person in the POD group needs to register to reserve the time slot
- Just one pod will have the 1st and 2nd floors of the Museum, including the preschool gallery, for their own exclusive space to learn and interact with each other
- All participants in the group will need to sign in at the Museum's front desk when they arrive
- Reservations are for a two-hour time slot
- Masks are encouraged for all and required for everyone 2 years and older who are not fully vaccinated.
- Non-Members: $250
- Members: $200
- EBT/WIC Card Holders: $75 (To qualify, the registrant must be a WIC or EBT card holder must show their card to our staff on the day of their reservation.)
Why come to the Museum? Your Pod At The Museum is designed to provide hands-on and fun learning for small groups of children. It is meant for groups looking for a safe meeting place with learning opportunities for hands-on exploration and play.
Social/Emotional Learning Opportunities: Students in 2021 need a safe space for them to return to some form of normal interaction – forming friendships and practicing teamwork. You can bring up to a total of 25 people for your pod reservation. This total needs to include all attendees, including babies.
Safety: Pods will have the 1st and 2nd floors of the Museum for their own exclusive space to learn and interact with each other. Masks are encouraged for all and required for everyone 2 years and older who are not fully vaccinated.
When? Click here to see available dates and times. Pods will register for a 2 hour session. Is the time you want sold out? Be sure to join our newsletter to see future openings! You can also join our waitlist here.
How? Please identify one person to register on behalf of your pod. All guests will be expected to sign in when they arrive to the museum.