Join Our Team
Summary of Position
Under the general direction of the Executive Director, the Director of Educational Programs leads the management, development, evaluation, and delivery of all public and educational programs for the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees the development of specific programs that are experiential, curriculum linked, have high audience interest, and meet revenue targets.
- Oversees content development for programs.
- Works with the Executive Director to develop and manage community partnerships for educational programs.
- Collaborates with the Director of Advancement to secure funding for new and existing programs; keeps current on funding sources for educational programs; participates in the preparation, management, and reporting of education grants.
- Works with the Exhibit staff to ensure exhibit topics, didactic information and activities are audience appropriate; oversees the Education Department staff in the creation and assessment of exhibit-related materials.
- Serves as primary liaison between the Education Department and AAHOM’s Board of Trustees, the academic community, and the general public.
- Coordinates the hiring and training of Education Staff.
- Works with Education Department staff to determine yearly assignments and goals; monitors and evaluates annual progress.
- Leads the annual departmental budgeting process; monitors expenditures; works with staff to determine revenue generation goals, and assesses financial performance of programs.
- Works with the Director of Advancement to develop promotional materials and marketing strategies for education programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Related Duties and Responsibilities:
- Familiarity with all education department programs and ability to deliver any program; actively participates in the delivery of educational programming on a regular basis including activities scheduled after-hours and on weekends.
- Attends all regular meetings of the trustees and of committees involved in the Museum’s education activities, as well as staff meetings.
- Maintains regular contacts with community organizations and other museums with the goal of fostering cooperation and collaboration.
- Actively participates in daily and weekend “on duty” staff rotations.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Master’s preferred in science-related discipline, formal or informal education. PhD desirable.
- Minimum of five years teaching experience in museum, school, or informal education setting.
- Broad knowledge of science and informal science education.
- Broad knowledge of learning theory and styles as well as developmentally appropriate activities and exercises.
- Ability to integrate state and national science standards into Museum programming.
- Ability to communicate with broad range of ages and interests.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong organization and project management abilities.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Relevant computer literacy.
$45,000 - $60,000, plus benefits.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Must be a computer literate “people person” who is able to pay attention to details and accurately handle money. The ability to multi-task in a prompt, polite and helpful manner is a must.
- Responsible for all phases of customer service in the Museum store, including greeting customers, selection and facilitating sales
- Duties include cash register operation, balancing the cash drawer
- Pricing new stock, restocking items, keeping store clean and neat and helping with displays and merchandising
- Ability to communicate effectively with general public
- Positive attitude
- Ability to handle high volume sales
- Punctuality and reliability
- Basic math skills and ability to make change
Hours are flexible depending on other Front Desk staff schedules. Available hours include: Monday – Saturday 9:30am – 5:30pm, Sunday 11:30am – 5:30pm. Some occasional hours are scheduled based on Museum Rentals events.
$8.15 per hour with incremental raises up to $10.50
Fill out and submit the Online Employment Application.